Garlic bits that are crisp and crispy sprinkled on light-fried shrimp marinated in olive oil and garlic butter sauce This Hawaiian garlic shrimp recipe is as tasty and delicious as it is simple to prepare at home. It takes only thirty minutes (or even a flight ticket) to gain access to these juicy and succulent shrimp!
What exactly is Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp Recipe?
If you’ve been to Hawaii perhaps you have had the opportunity to dine at one of the numerous delicious garlic shrimp stands and trucks located in Oahu, Maui, and many more. The butter garlic shrimp are a traditional Hawaiian food item that was born in on the North Shore in Oahu.
Giovanni’s Original White Shrimp Truck began serving shrimp at their mobile stands in 1993. since then, it’s been an international phenomenon that’s led to many shrimp trucks that serve similar food items and even made it to restaurants on the mainland. To find out more about our best The Tamura’s we went to it located at 500 Ala-Moana Blvd. 3C Suite 2C, Honolulu, HI 96813. However, there are numerous locations on the island.
Famous garlic shrimp recipes
Nowadays, you have an many options for what you think is the most delicious garlic shrimp, whether it’s someplace along Kamehameha highway, or on another island as well on the continental. Here are a few notable ones: Giovanni’s Scampi Shrimp Plate from our 2021 trip
Giovanni’s Shrimp truck Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck Giovanni’s is famous for its garlic butter-infused shrimp. They are garnished with garlic pieces on top of the shrimp, along with rice. It’s known as the OG to get garlic butter shrimp, and it’s not surprising that they’re so popular. The first Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck is located on the North Shore in Haleiwa off of the Kamehameha highway. Our most recent visit here we were fortunate to find only six people waiting waiting in line, so there was not much of an wait. It was interesting to note that the locals all suggested we visit Romy’s Restaurant and Famous Kuhaku Shrimp Truck nearby instead. Add: 56-505 Kamehameha Hwy, Kahuku, HI 96731
Romy’s Kahuku Prawns & Shrimp There’s a rumble between the two best candidates for garlic shrimp, and it’s between Romy’s and Giovanni’s. It is known for its pile of fried and charred garlic pieces on top of its shrimp. Romy’s restaurant is located in Kahuku near the Kamehameha highway. Romy’s is a stand-alone establishment in an attractive red building but it is not the truck. The Fumi’s Kuhaku Shrimp is from our trip in 2018
Fumi’s Kahuku Shrimp – Fumi’s is also at the North Shore and we were recommended to eat there to avoid the large crowds of tourists as well as long wait times. Comparatively to Romy’s and Giovanni’s the garlic shrimp, this food was more buttery and garlicky. The shrimp was tasty and plump, however I didn’t feel there was many flavors from the sauce. Like Romy’s, Fumi’s is also an ocean blue stand that is situated in Kuhaku just across to Giovanni’s across the road. Add: 56-777 Kamehameha Hwy, Honolulu HI 96744.
Geste Shrimp Truck Geste Shrimp Truck Geste is among my personal favorites. It is situated in Maui within the Kahului region. It definitely has more than a shrimp boil taste due to the abundance of garlic cayenne, paprika and flavors. It was a lot brighter red in contrast to the other three trucks, and also had slices of green onion, but it certainly was not lacking in flavor.
Making and preparing the Shrimp
In the recipe I enjoyed choosing large (15-20 dimension) shrimp as they were large enough and kept their plumpness throughout the cooking process. If you want to buy fresh shrimp at your local supermarket or even purchase frozen raw shrimp that has been deveined but with the peel on.
If you’re interested in learning how to peel shrimp and devein them, without removing the skin.
Would you like to eat the shells of Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp?
This garlic shrimp Hawaiian style has the shell on as it gives a crispy taste as you eat. It is possible to apply your fingers while eating to take off the shell at the end but that’s all part of the enjoyment.
Are shrimp very popular in Hawaii?
Hawaiian garlic shrimps are among the most sought-after local meals and its popularity began in the 90s, thanks the Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck.
What can you do with shrimp sauteed
Because this dish of shrimp is full of garlicky flavour, you’ll want to serve it with easy food items. The most appropriate sides to serve alongside this simple recipe is white rice (drizzled with remaining flavoring sauce made from garlic) and lemon wedges and a Hawaiian-style mac salad.
Hawaiian style mac salad side dish
One of my top recipes for Hawaiian lunches on plates includes Hawaiian macaroni salad (along with chicken Katsu) And for this dish of garlic shrimp this is no any different. The chilled, eggy flavor are perfect for steamy, warm seafood and rice. I like buying mac salad from the local L&L Barbecue when I don’t have the time to cook my own Hawaiian mac salad at home.
Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp Recipe
- cutting board & knife
- Mixing bowl
- 24 pieces (pieces) jumbo shrimp 15-20 size
- 15 g (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 17 g (2 tbsp) cornstarch
- 2 g (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 14 g (2 tbsp) paprika
- 6 g (3 tsp) salt
- 170 g (40 cloves) garlic chopped
- 2 fl oz (4 tbsp) olive oil add more if necessary
- 228 g (8 tbsp) unsalted butter
- ½ fl oz (1 tbsp) lemon juice add more if necessary
- Clean your shrimp before preparing them by washing them in running water and removing their heads. Remove the veins by cutting 1/8 inch around the exterior of the shrimp, from the tail up to above the head. Get rid of the vein of poop. Keep the shells in place as well as dry them on paper towels.
- Mix the cornstarch, flour cayenne powder, paprika and salt in a bowl. Make sure that each shrimp is thoroughly coated, including the slit you cut.
- Set it on an aluminum rack and place it aside until you're ready to cook.
- In a pan set on medium heat, cook to the butter, stirring until it begins melting, then you can add garlic.
- Let the garlic cook until it is crisp and golden, which takes about 3 minutes. This is what garlic will look once it's cooked. The garlic butter should be transferred into another bowl.
- Then, in the pan you used to cook them place an olive oil to cook shrimp and allow them to become they are crispy all sides around an hour per side. Or until the meat is opaque.
- The garlic butter should be added back in the pan together with the shrimp. Cook for another 1-2 mins so that the flavors can mix. Sprinkle the lemon juice on the top of the dish and test the taste.
- Serve with white rice, lemon wedges and Hawaiian Mac Salad.