Vietnamese beef noodles salad (bun bo xao) is filled in fresh herb, savory beef, and a refreshing lemon fish sauce sauce. It only takes 30 minutes to prepare and is delicious it as a main dish or as a side dish.
A brief overview of Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad (Bun Bo Xao)
Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad is known as ” bun bo xao” or ” bun bo Nam Bo” in Vietnamese. This delicious noodles is typically substantial enough to constitute a complete meal on its own. This dish is a good example of something about Vietnamese cuisine that is focused on the freshness, purity and fresh flavor.
If you are in Hanoi in Vietnam, it’s quite easy to locate a food vendor offering this food item. Bun Bo Xao as well as Bun Cha (Vietnamese barbecued pork meatballs and noodles) are two popular street food options that are noodle-based in Hanoi.
It’s incredibly easy to recreate this dish at home. Stir-fried beef, vibrant greens and herb are laid on top of vermicelli noodles. To make it more tasty, we top it with crispy fried shallots and roast peanuts.
Then, drizzle Vietnamese famous fish sauce dressing on the salad, and give the salad a good mix prior to eating. As simple as it sounds but it’s a feast for the eyes and stomach.
Food preparation Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad (Bun Bo Xao)
The principal ingredients for this dish include beef rice vermicelli noodles (bun) and the choice of vegetables, along with fresh and dried herbs.
Peanuts roasted and fried aren’t necessary but their crunchiness and nuttiness can enhance the flavor. You can purchase fried shallots in a jar in Asian supermarkets.
My personal favorite cut of beef to stir-frying are flank steak that is extremely flavorful. It is tender after marinating for a long time. I suggest using flank steak. Slice it as thinly as you can , and allow it to marinate for 25-30 minutes.
It is possible to choose a different cut that you like. The most important thing is to cut it across the grain, thinly then marinate it, then stir-fry in small portions.
For vegetables, there’s an array of vegetables from that you can pick. I typically use at least two varieties of the following vegetables:
- Bean sprouts,
In terms of herbs, I typically pick mint and cilantro due to their refreshing flavor , and their subtle aroma. Fresh vegetables and herbs to make Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad: cucumber, lettuce, carrots as well as bean sprouts.
If you make Vietnamese meals often it’s always an excellent idea to keep the rice vermicelli noodles available in the pantry. My personal favorite is Bamboo Tree (Ba cay tre). After trying a variety of brands, I’ve come to the conclusion that they have vermicelli that is among the most effective.
If the local Asian grocery store doesn’t have Bamboo vermicelli noodles, the other brand you can test can be Three Ladies Brand Rice Vermicelli.
Certain Products I’ve Used to make this Dish
- Bamboo tree vermicelli noodles the top vermicelli noodle manufacturer. If you can’t find it, you can try three Ladies the brand.
- Vietnamese fish sauce (or other brands) that is made up of salt and anchovies. It’s not made with sugar or any other weird ingredients.
- Oyster sauce
- Scanpan non-stick skillet I love the cast iron and stainless steel skillets I have very much but Scanpan is my favorite skillet for when I want to stir-fry thinly-sliced pieces of meat. Make sure to wash it by hand and not make use of metal tools and it’ll last an extended period of time.
Notes on cooking
It could be an individual preference however, I prefer eating my Vietnamese beef noodles warm. In order to do this it is essential that everything else be in place prior to stirring-frying the beef.
They can warm by running them through hot water short or by microwaving them rapidly. In order to warm the dressing, microwave it for around 30 seconds.
Place the noodles, vegetables and the herbs in serving bowls and stir fry the beef. The beef should be added to the bowls, and sprinkle on the peanuts and shallots fried and serve it right away with your dressing.
It is delicious. Mi Xao Toi – Vietnamese Garlic Noodles is also delicious , and the cooking technique and most components are identical. It is worth checking out the recipe since I created an instructional video on how to prepare it and how to cut cucumbers quickly to make the noodle salad.
See more: A Vietnamese Beef Salad you should try
Bun Bo Xao Recipe- Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad
For the beef
- 1 lb of beef
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1 tablespoon minced
- black pepper
- cooking oil for cooking
For the lime sauce for fish sauce dressing
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of warm water
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice (about 1 juicy lime)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 . teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- rice vermicelli noodles (or rice noodle)
- micro greens, lettuce or micro greens
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- Bean sprouts
- Cilantro is roughly chopped
- Fried shallots
- roasted peanuts
- Cut the beef thinly against the grain. Marinate with oyster sauce garlic, black pepper and ginger for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together to create the dressing. keep aside. Adjust the dressing to your liking.
- Make vermicelli noodles in accordance with instructions on the packaging.
- Make all the vegetables ready Wash micro greens, lettuce, as well as bean sprouts. Wash, peel , and cut the cucumber and carrot. Make sure to prepare all the herbs.
- Serve the noodles in bowls, then top with vegetables and fresh herbs.
- Put a pan on moderately high temperature. Once the pan is hot and oil is added, place the beef in one layer and simmer for 20-30 seconds without stirring. Stir-fry in fish sauce until the beef is cooked. Make small batches, if necessary, to prevent crowding the pan.
- Serve the beef stew over the noodles, drizzle the dressing over and serve. It is recommended to begin with a small amount dressing, then taste it to determine what you prefer to increase the amount.
- To keep the beef noodle salad warm, cook everything else prior to stir-frying the beef. Noodles can be warmed by running through hot water short. In order to warm the dressing, microwave it for around 30 seconds. Place the noodles, vegetables and herbs in serving bowls, then stir fry the beef.
- Make small batches while stirring fry the beef as needed. I stir-fry 1lb of beef in three batches.
- The recipe will serve 2 people who eat this as the primary course. If served as a dish to accompany a meal, it can be served to four people.
- Here are some additional ingredients that you can marinate in the meat: lemongrass minced and a tiny amount of five-spice powder.