(Pad See Ew Recipe) Thin strips of steak with fresh rice noodles, crispy gailan, and fluffy eggs, all stir-fried with the dressing made of spicy soy sauce sweet oyster sauce white vinegar that is tangy and dark brown sugar, which is nutty. The Thai home-cooked pad see ew makes an easy and quick meal anytime during the day!
There is anything more enjoyable than sipping an noodle soup hot and stir-fried like pad see ew or an ice cold cup of Thai tea? I don’t believe so.
What’s pad see ew?
Pad see ew is a Thai word meaning “fried (with soy sauce)” which is an Asian-based stir fried noodle dish that has gained popularity in Thailand. Similar to Pad thai and pad see-ew, it is a popular street food and you’ll find numerous YouTube videos that feature Thai cooks making the noodles in a short flurry.
Pad See Ew Sauce
Pad See ew is spiced using a soy sauce base along with oyster sauce, vinegar and sugar sweetened. It’s a fairly simple seasoning that’s easy to mix up and adapt to your individual taste.
You can make use of any kind of sauce made from soy, there’s Thai brands which are different from the traditional Chinese brands, as they’re not so salty due to the sweetness added to them. In this recipe I made use of Healthy Boy brands of thin soy sauce and dark soy sauce. I also utilized Maekrua’s oyster sauce.
Pad see ew ingredients
The noodles used in pad see ew are one of the main components in this recipe. The traditional Pad See Ew noodles consist of large flat rice noodles that have edges that are slightly crisp due to stirring-frying. You can make use of “fresh” and dried rice noodles to make this dish but it is best served with large noodles.
The kind that I use for this recipe are “fresh” noodles I’m using to make this recipe are prepared and cooked rice noodles purchased from the grocery store . They don’t require boiling and are usually found in a non-refrigerated aisle , or section. You can eat them right out of the bag. Be aware that you can find “fresh” noodles, which require boiling, however they aren’t the same kind of noodles. Check the labels on the packaging before purchasing.
They are available in a variety of sizes (from whole sheets to noodles that have been cut) and are like the rice paper sheets you can eat at Korean barbecue or Cheung Fun. I like buying full sheets of rice paper as they allow me to cut them however long I like them. They are available in ready-to-eat rice noodles on H-Mart, 99 Ranch, and other Asian supermarkets.
- Mi Xao Toi – Vietnamese Garlic Noodles
- Mì Khô Xá Xíu – Vietnamese Dry Noodles With Char Siu Pork
- Bun Bo Xao Recipe- Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad
Other ingredients and meat
A good pad see ew recipe typically comprises steak cuts made from beef However, you can utilize different kinds of protein based depending on your preferences, such as shrimp, chicken, pork or tofu. In this recipe I chose flank steak as it was reasonably priced and I could marinate it in order to give it an extra taste.
Other ingredients are gailan (or Chinese broccoli), eggs as well as garlic.
How do you make your pad see Ew recipe
For making Pad See Ew you’ll need to make use of the carbon-steel wok since it’s perfect to stir fry and provides enough space for mixing all the ingredients and also provide enough heat to grill the steak and noodles to create crisp and crispy edges.
Here are some helpful tips to create a flavorful pad the ew in your home
- Marinate your steak as you prepare the other ingredients. This will add flavor to your steak.
- Separate the leaves and the stems of gailan, and cook them in separate batches. Because the stems take longer in cooking, it will keep you from overcooking the leaves.
- Place aside the cooked meat and gailan to cook and prepare the noodles and eggs. This will help you avoid cooking the meat too long and will allow you to properly cover the noodles.
- Let the ingredients rest in the wok for approximately 30-seconds after mixing them together so that the noodles have a crispy sear.
If you’re looking to try more Thai dishes to go with your pad check out ew, I’d suggest a delicious soup made of Panang Curry, Thai basil Fried rice and then finish your meal with a delicious mango sticky rice dessert.
What is different between Pad Thai and pad see Ew?
Pad Thai is an equally well-known Thai dish comprised of rice and meat noodles. It’s cooked with a tangy sauce that is based on tamarind. Pad see ew is made from more rice noodles, and is served with the use of a soy sauce-based spice.
Does pad see ew taste similar to drunken noodles?
Drunken noodles (or pad mao) differs from pad ew in that it’s prepared with plenty of chili peppers and holy basil, making it more spicy than its milder counterpart.
Maybe you like: Korean Japchae (Glass Noodles with Ribeye)
What is pad’s vision of ew taste like?
The authentic pad see ew flavor is not too spicy as well as a salty sweet and savory taste thanks to the soy sauce oyster sauce and brown sugar seasoning.
Thai Stir Fried Rice Noodles (Pad See Ew recipe)
- sauté pan, wok or pan
- wok spatula
- Large bowl
- 235 g (8 oz) flank steak sliced very thinly
- 32 g (2 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 16 g (1 tbsp) dark soy sauce
- 16 g (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 5 g (1 tsp) white vinegar
- 34 g (2 tbsp) oyster sauce
- 12 g (1 tbsp) dark brown sugar
VEGETABLES & ASSMEBLY
- 156 g (6 stalks) gailan chopped into 2 inch pieces & separated stalks from leaves
- 15 g (1 tbsp) garlic minced
- 3 large eggs
- 350 g (12 oz) fresh wide rice noodles
- 170 g (6 oz) OR dried wide rice noodles
- 25 g (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- in a bowl mix the meat and the soy sauce. Mix until all the parts that comprise the beef are coated and let marinade for about twenty minutes as you prepare the other ingredients.
- Sauce:Combine everything you have in your liquid (dark soy sauce light soy sauce oyster sauce as well as white vinegar) and mix them together. Keep the liquid aside. The brown sugar on the wok right away.
- Vegetables:Clean the gailan by submerging it in water, then drying off. Cut the gailan into two inches and then cut parts of the leaves and stem. Chop the garlic.
- noodles:If the rice you bought was fresh, then cut noodles in sheets, cut them to the desired width and then separate them by hand. If you bought dried rice noodles in wide sizes Follow the directions on the packaging and cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packaging. After cooking remove them from the water and place them in a bowl to dry.
- In a large saute pan , or wok, over medium-high heat add half the oil, along with all the garlic. The garlic will cook for around 30-seconds or so, until it is aromatic. It's best slightly brown the garlic because it's going to take more time to fry later on.
- Add the marinated meat to the pan and cook for approximately an hour or so or until slightly brown, but not cooked completely (aim for around 75% done).Include the gailan stems in the mix and cook for 30 to 60 seconds, until they've reached their final temperature.
- Add the gailan leaves to cook until the leaves are wilted. Then , transfer the gailan and meat into your large bowl , making sure to stop them from being cooked.
- Then, pour the remaining vegetable oil into the wok. Then, crack eggs into the wok. Make use of your spatula to mix egg yolks until completely cooked and scrambled.
- Incorporate the noodles in the wok. Add the sauce and sprinkle with brown sugar. Then, gently toss the entire mixture in the wok until they fully coat the noodles with sauce, and also to break parts of the eggs.
- In the large bowl to the side, add the gailan and meat that you have cooked However, don't put in the juice that is settling on the bottom of your plate. Combine all the ingredients.
- Increase the temperature to high, and then lightly toss the noodles a few times trying to create some browning of the noodles. Be careful not to burn the pad with see ew and be careful not to smash the noodles while throwing them around since they are extremely fragile.
- Test the noodles by tasting them and add more seasonings If needed and serve right away.